The key concern of Tobacco Control is always to give a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods which can be prone to further the objectives of the tobacco control policy that is comprehensive. In documents submitted for review the introduction should suggest why the study reported or dilemmas discussed are essential when it comes to managing tobacco use, additionally the conversation area ought to include an analysis of the way the research reported plays a role in tobacco control goals.
Documents firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. Since the journal seeks to attain a worldwide readership, writers should think about whether their intended submissions target problems or themes, which are probably be of interest to scientists doing work in other countries. Extremely parochial dilemmas, that have few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to be provided with high concern. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking maybe perhaps not provide priority that is high:
- Studies of smoking cigarettes prevalence as well as its correlates. They are most suitable to journals that are national. Few people living outside a national country have an interest in whether that country has 30% or 35% of cigarette cigarette smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific populace teams or medical researchers. Once again, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness speciality that is professional. Few individuals in other nations are usually enthusiastic about (for instance) whether nurses in a local medical center are enthusiastic about helping patients quit. Nationwide studies, and the ones using studies that are such initial areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are documents with findings that appear to hold no apparent value for changing policy or training in tobacco control. They frequently show methodological finery, but don’t take us anywhere crucial or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in actuality paper writers the views are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or disregard for crucial issues that are ethical favour of sloganeering.
- Documents that show the writers haven’t exposed Tobacco Control nor comprehend its main concentrate on tobacco control as opposed to on tobacco and its particular usage and wellness consequences. We have been thinking about such documents, but only if their writers address the implications of these findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, deadly methodological dilemmas.
- Documents on topics that need highly technical or language that is discipline-specific to be grasped by the most of visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little new information.
- Neighborhood studies where in actuality the implications for the journal’s audience that is international not clear.
- Reports written for governments or neighborhood wellness authorities that some body thought could be provided a fast make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres towards the greatest requirements concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, medical misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To see all BMJ Journal policies please make reference to the BMJ Author Hub policies web page.
Articles are posted under a special licence or non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. For people authorities officers or employees acting included in their formal duties, the terms are as previously mentioned prior to our licence terms. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles may be reused underneath the regards to the appropriate imaginative Commons licence to facilitate reuse associated with the content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence for the applicable Creative Commons licences”.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will maybe not give consideration to for publication documents work that is reporting, in entire or perhaps in component, by a tobacco business or tobacco industry company. Nor will the consider that is journal by writers whom accept tobacco industry financing, including money for research expenses, for several or element of any author’s income, or any other kinds of individual remuneration. For more information, please check this out editorial providing the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare interests that are competing distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, may result in instant rejection associated with paper. In case a interest that is competing to light after publication, Tobacco Control will issue a formal modification to or retraction of this entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is ready to think about documents based wholly or perhaps in component on product previously posted on line. Nevertheless writers should think about an editorial with this topic: Prior book on the internet: brand brand new journal policy. The editor keeps the right that is customary make modifications however you like and when required to reduce, because of the approval associated with author(s), product accepted for publication. Any written or illustrative product that happens to be posted somewhere else needs to be duly recognized and followed closely by the penned consent for the copyright owner (this might be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under unique circumstances in which a paper’s findings have actually instantly policy that is relevant warranting urgent book, manuscripts might be fast tracked prior to the normal queue of documents. In the event which you feel you feel it is of sufficient importance to be handled urgently that you have good reasons why this is true for your paper, please detail these in a cover letter, explaining the importance of your work for the field and the reason. This demand will not guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a few documents per year will likely be expedited with this foundation, however it can help the editors to judge the paper’s value within the context that is current.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on electric cigarettes should make use of the term cigarettes that are‘electronic on very very first usage, and after that the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be utilized. Documents on other delivery that is nicotine may continue to utilize the word ‘electronic smoking distribution systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very first use.
Whenever uploading a revised manuscript, writers must also consist of an independent manuscript file showcasing the tracked changes to demonstrate the editors the real difference through the version that is previous. The monitored changes document must certanly be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Research gu > that is reporting
BMJ requires conformity towards the reporting that is following. Please upload the appropriate completed list for the submission to your study type, and label it “Research checklist”. This can be indicated on the submission form if no relevant checklist is available for your study type.
CONSORT statement – necessary for all randomised managed trials
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for several financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for several diagnostic research papers
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for several quality enhancement studies
Guidance and types can be obtained from EQUATOR.
We welcome video clip abstracts to come with accepted research articles. These enable authors to really talk through their work beyond the limitations of a formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note that individuals will perhaps not request you to give consideration to publishing a video clip abstract until your paper happens to be accepted. Please do not try to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of the manuscript.
There are numerous tutorials online which could guide the manufacturing of a video abstract, using commonly and sometimes software that is freely available. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie would be the many examples that are common. Samples of movie abstracts can be obtained from The BMJ. Listed here are a guidelines that are few making a video clip abstract. Writers might also desire to ask their institution’s press/media workplace for support.
- Movie abstracts must not go longer than 4 moments.
- This content while focusing associated with video clip must connect straight to the research which has been accepted for book, and really should maybe perhaps perhaps not stray beyond the information. We suggest itself i.e. briefly outline the background/context of the study, present your research objective, outline the methods used, present the key results and then discuss the implications of the outcomes that you follow the same structure as the paper.
- The presentation and content for the movie must certanly be in a method as well as in terms that’ll be understandable and available to a basic medical market. The primary language should be English, but we welcome subtitles an additional language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to an extensive audience that is medical and don’t make use of abbreviations.
- Writers frequently talk straight into the camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we enable the utilization of other appropriate artistic and sound product (such as for instance animations, videos, nevertheless photographs, figures, infographics). If you want to utilize product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the appropriate publisher or copyright owner.